The Colorado Historical Newspapers Collection (CHNC) has recently reached 730,000 digitized pages of Colorado historic newspapers! With this growth we have added new content from a few of our favorite standing titles. This new content includes:
- The Yampa Leader, 1923-1926 (courtesy of the East Routt County Library and the Historical Society of Oak Creek & Phippsburg)
- Oak Creek Times, 1922-1944 (courtesy of the East Routt County Library and the Historical Society of Oak Creek & Phippsburg)
- Eagle Valley Enterprise, 1943-1950 (courtesy of the Eagle Valley Library District)
- Salida Mail, 1884-1916 (courtesy of the Salida Regional Library)
We hope you enjoy browsing these new years. Readers will also be excited to know that we have also added two new titles. The new titles include:
- Twin Lakes Miner, 1902-1911 (courtesy of the Lake County Public Library). E. J. Hoefnagels founded the Twin Lakes Miner in 1902 and published its first edition in December of that same year. The town of Twin Lakes began as a small mining camp 12 miles southeast of Leadville. After Leadville’s boom, many of the town’s elite built homes by the lakes. Twin Lakes was added to the National Register of Historic Places in the 1970’s. The Twin Lakes Miner changed its name to the Lake County Miner in 1911. The paper moved to Leadville in 1914.
- Montrose Daily Press, 1910-1912 (courtesy of the Montrose Regional Library District). Charles E. Adams first published the Montrose Daily Press in 1907. In 1912 the paper merged with the Daily Western Empire and changed names. Charles would go on to serve as editor until his death in 1940. Over time the paper merged once more and changed names three times. It is published today as the Montrose Press.
The Montrose Daily Press is also the first and only title that represents Montrose County. We are very excited to have another county’s history represented in CHNC. Thank you to all our partners for making this new content happen. If you would like to find out how you can preserve your community’s history and add content to CHNC please contact me at email@example.com or at 720.483.4261.