This is the time of year when those interested in establishing a new charter school need to begin the application process. Charter school establishment is overseen by the Colorado Department of Education’s Charter School Institute (CSI). They require a letter of intent to be filed by March 1, and the completed application is due March 28. For application materials and a full list of important dates, see the CSI website. Also be sure to view the Colorado Department of Education’s online Charter Schools Guidebook and Colorado Charter Schools webpage for important information.
Our library has many resources that can help guide you in the process of establishing a new school, or simply to help you understand how charter schools operate in Colorado. See the following resources for information:
- Administrator’s Guide for Leading a Charter School
- Annual Report, Colorado Charter School Institute
- CSI Guidebook and 2018-19 update
- Fast Facts: Charter, Online and Innovation Schools
- The State of Charter Schools in Colorado
- State Oversight of Charter Schools