Colorado has 25 scenic and historic “byways,” routes designated for their extra-special scenery or historical value. The Colorado Dept. of Transportation oversees the byways program, and you can see photos and information on each byway at the program website. This year, the program celebrated its 20th birthday.
Our library has a number of resources on Colorado’s Scenic and Historic Byways, including:
- Colorado: The Official Guide to the Scenic and Historic Byways
- Discover Colorado: Colorado Scenic and Historic Byways
- Colorado Byways: A Guide Through Scenic and Historic Landscapes
The Byways are located all over the state – not just in the mountains – showcasing the many varied landscapes across our state.
- How to Spot the Differences Between Eagles and Hawks - August 16, 2021
- How Transportation Projects Help Tell the Story of Colorado’s Past - August 9, 2021
- Time Machine Tuesday: The Night the Castlewood Canyon Dam Gave Way - August 3, 2021