The State of Colorado has many resources for those who are in crisis, and those who serve them.
If you are a Coloradan experiencing a mental health, substance abuse, or emotional crisis, you can dial the 24-hour Colorado Crisis Services Hotline, 1-844-493-TALK(8255). The hotline provides immediate, confidential support from a licensed counselor or other mental health professional. Translation services are available for non-English speakers. The Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS), which administers the hotline, also offers eleven walk-in crisis centers across the state. These services are free.
If you are a mental health professional or are looking to become one, you can find a number of resources in our library that offer information on licensing, education, best practices, and other mental health topics. Some helpful resources for professionals include:
- Behavioral Health Crisis Study: Crisis System Overview and Exemplary Models (CDHS)
- Best Practices in Early Childhood Mental Health Services (CDHS)
- The Burden of Depression and Anxiety in Colorado (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment)
- Colorado Behavior Resource Manual (CDHS)
- Healthy Colorado: Colorado’s Plan for Improving Public Health and the Environment, 2015-2019 (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment; includes section on mental health)
- House Bill 2010-1302 Behavioral Health Crisis Response Services Study Report (CDHS)
- A Profile of the State of Colorado’s Care and Treatment of People with Mental Illness (CDHS)
- Strengthening Colorado’s Mental Health System, A Plan to Safeguard All Coloradans: Expanding the State’s Crisis Response System (CDHS)
- For licensing information, see the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies pages for addictions counselors, marriage and family therapists, professional counselors, psychologists, psychotherapists, and social workers.
- How to Spot the Differences Between Eagles and Hawks - August 16, 2021
- How Transportation Projects Help Tell the Story of Colorado’s Past - August 9, 2021
- Time Machine Tuesday: The Night the Castlewood Canyon Dam Gave Way - August 3, 2021