Carbon Monoxide

The General Assembly is considering a bill that requires carbon monoxide detectors be installed in all new residential construction, and in any properties that are sold, or leased to new tenants. In the last 2 months, 6 Coloradans have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. These incidents inspired the creation of the Lofgren Family Carbon Monoxide Safety Act (HB1091). The bill was introduced before the House Business Affairs and Labor Committee yesterday (January 12). To track the status of the bill, go to the General Assembly “status sheets” website, and use the drop down menu to select the range of bills that includes HB1091.

For more information on carbon monoxide in homes, you may want to read “Preventing Carbon Monoxide Problems“, from the Colorado State University Extension, or visit the website of the Indoor Air Quality Unit of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Samantha Hager
Latest posts by Samantha Hager (see all)