The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Aurora Public Library invites you to join in the Great Backyard Bird Count, an annual event to help understand global bird populations. Learn what you need to participate on February 16, 12:00 pm, at Central Library.
Jefferson County Public Library will host the Denver Audubon Society for a Winter Bird Walk on February 10 from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. Meet at Belmar Library for a presentation followed by a walk around Belmar Park, weather permitting.
At Clearview Library District’s next Adulting 101 class, teens will receive training in CPR taught by Windsor Severance Fire Rescue. The class will be held on February 13 from 5:30 to 7:00 pm at Windsor-Severance Library.
Denver Public Library will host the City of Denver’s Office of Aging for Resources for Aging Well, a presentation on February 22, 12:30 pm, at Hampden Branch Library. Come learn about the resources the agency recommends for their community.
Grand County Library District is celebrating National Love Your Pet Day on February 17 from 2:00 to 3:00 pm at Fraser Valley Library. The program will include presentations from the local animal shelter and two dog training academies.
Make it Great
Clear Creek County Library District is partnering with local florist Marigold to offer a Small Floral Arrangement Workshop on February 11 from 10:00 to 11:30 am and 12:30 to 2:00 pm. Registered participants will meet at Marigold.
Louisville Public Library invites kids in grades 3-6 to celebrate Black History Month by Discovering the Art of Clementine Hunter and creating their own folk art. Registration is required for this event on February 14 at 4:00 pm.
West Custer County Library asks: Is it fake or is it cake? In this team artistry competition, your group of up to 4 will try to impress the judges by creating the most realistic-looking cake. Registration is required.
Pitkin County Library continues its Bookbinding series on February 17 at 3:30 pm. Each class builds on previous skills, but beginners are always welcome.
Garfield County Libraries invites you to their Mardi Gras Celebration at Silt Branch Library on February 13 at 1:00 pm. Enjoy an afternoon of Louisiana cultural Cajun/Zydeco music with “Johnny and the Mongrels,” food from Burning Mountain Pizza and Subs and Shamrocks food, and a lot of fun! It’s free and open to all.
Is your next literary love just around the corner? Find out when you go on a Blind Date with a Book at Spanish Peaks Library on February 10 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Bud Werner Memorial Library invites you to enjoy February Jazz at the Library with The Cat Pack, February 12 at 6:30 pm. The performance will feature ballads in honor of Valentine’s Day.
What’s New at Colorado State Library
- Colorado’s Talent Pipeline Report: Workforce Stats and Essential Info for Libraries
- February 9, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Registration required
- Shine-a-Light: Building a Schoolwide Reading Community
- February 21, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
- Registration required
- De-escalation Skills Workshop (Colorado staff only)
- February 22, 1:00 – 3:00 pm
- Registration is full
- Public Libraries and Adult Literacy: State of the Field
- March 13, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Registration required
- HESTL EdCON (statewide K-12 library conference)
- June 6, 2024 in Lone Tree
- Submit a proposal by March 15
- Find even more learning opportunities by browsing the Libraries Learn Calendar from Colorado State Library or the Continuing Education Calendar from Maine State Library.
Are you considering a job change this year? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities, like this selection from around Colorado.
- Senior Reader Advisor – Colorado Talking Book Library
- Circulations Services Clerk (Part-Time, 20 hours) – Bemis Public Library
- Library Branch Supervisor (Lena Archuleta) – Denver Public Library
- Library Clerk – Aurora Public Library
- Customer Experience Librarian – Douglas County Libraries
- Senior Staff Accountant – Pikes Peak Library District
- Outreach Services Coordinator/Bookmobile Manager – Salida Regional Library
- Library Branch Manager – Pueblo City-County Library District, Rawlings Library
- Branch Manager – Eagle Valley Library District
- MLIS Internship – Part Time, Temporary – Eagle Valley Library District
- Librarian I- Meadows – Boulder Public Library District
- Library Specialist I (Part-Time) – Boulder Public Library District
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of Colorado library programs and resource sharing. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Amy Hitchner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All images are from the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection, a service of Colorado State Library.