The Colorado Historical Records Advisory Board (CHRAB), in partnership with the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), invites you to attend a FREE, 2-day, Archives and Digital Collections 101 Workshop on September 10 and 11 at the Durango Public Library.
What You Can Expect
Day 1: September 10, 2019
9:00-12:00: Morning Session
Archives 101: Understanding the Basics of Archival Theory and Practice
The morning session of the workshop, “Archives 101,” will focus on archival best practices. The workshop is geared towards those working in smaller archival repositories and those who may not have had formal archival training. Participants are encouraged to bring questions and sample items from their collections that present specific challenges in processing. FREE Archives 101 tool kits will be provided by CHRAB.
What you will learn:
- Introduction to Archives Management
- What is an archive? What does an archivist do?
- Basic archival principles and practices
- Accessioning new records
- Arrangement and description
- Basics of archival preservation, access, and outreach
12:00-1:00: Lunch provided by CHRAB
1:00-4:00: Afternoon Session
Share Your Story: A Toolkit for Creating Digital Collections
Digitization is not simply making a digital copy of an object. It is a process of collecting, reformatting, cataloging, storing, and sharing digital objects. With this workshop you will learn the fundamentals of each area of the digitization workflow: selection, digital capture, description, and sharing, and leave with a toolkit to get you started on your digitization journey. This workshop is for those that are new to digital collections.
What you will learn:
- Framework for selecting items and copyright considerations
- Basics of digital capture for preservation and access
- Metadata description for historic collections
- How to share your collection with your community near and far
Day 2: September 11, 2019 (Half day)
Collection Consultation and Dig Time
Participants will have the opportunity to sign up for a 1 hour hands on experience with the Colorado State Libraries Digitization Kits. Please bring 2 to 4 items (maximum dimensions: 8.5″ x 11.7″) to move through the digital capture workflow. You will have the opportunity to scan, create preservation and access copies, create metadata and see your items live and online.
Want to talk? Participants will also have the opportunity to sign up for 1 hour blocks of time with an archivist from CHRAB to help with topics such as:
- Donor relations
- Collection management
- User access
- Archival processing
The workshop will be held at the Durango Public Library, 1900 E. 3rd Ave Durango, CO 81301. Note: The library opens to the public at 9:00 but the program room will be open at 8:30.
Cost, Registration, & Food
- This 2 day workshop is Free!
- Register for the event and sign up for day 2 using this online form. Feel free to sign up for both days or just one. Note: With limited space available registration can fill up fast!
- Register by August 30, 2019. Note: Registration may close early if we reach our room maximum.
- Lunch on Day 1 will be provided by CHRAB
- Hotel suggestions: If you need to stay over our friends in Durango recommend the The Rochester/Leland House, the Holiday Inn or La Quinta.
- Parking: There is plenty of free parking available on site.
If you have questions about this event please email CHRAB@state.co.us.
Latest posts by Leigh Jeremias (see all)
- Our Historic Story Keeps Growing….. - July 25, 2019
- Free Archives and Digital Collections 101 Workshop - July 18, 2019
- Free Learning Opportunity: Photogrammetry, a way to build 3D models - May 9, 2019