The Colorado State Library is delighted to share our awesome lineup of Spring Training opportunities in 2020! We have hit it out of the park by partnering with 3 all-star facilitators to offer 6 home run learning opportunities. So make sure to make note of when each workshop’s registration will open, so that you don’t strike (miss) out!
Mental Health Issues in Libraries
We are working with LoFaro Consulting to offer a 4 hour workshop on dealing with mental health issues in our libraries. The goal of the training is to increase the knowledge, confidence, and comfort of library staff interacting with community members experiencing mental illness.
April 23, 2020 from 1 – 5 PM – Bemis Public Library – Registration will open March 23, 2020
Curious about Library Supervision?
- Interested in moving into a supervisory position in libraries, but wonder if it is the right career path for you?
- Curious about the specific skills needed to be an effective supervisor?
Join us for this unique look at the life of a library supervisor. During this workshop, Pat Wagner will share her perspective on what the job entails, the challenges, the rewards, and the quirks of being a boss.
This workshop is open to Colorado library staff currently NOT working as a supervisor.
May 27, 2020 from 1 – 5 PM – Westminster Public Library – College Hill Library – Registration will open April 22, 2020
We will also offer an abbreviated online version of this workshop on June 10, 2020 from 12 – 1:30 PM – Registration will open April 22, 2020
The Colorado State Library is thrilled to offer the 2-day Successful Supervision Workshop, facilitated by Pat Wagner, in 2 locations this year! Using case studies and their own real-life performance management issues, participants will review proven supervision models and apply practical concepts in hands-on work sessions.
Upon completion of the workshop attendees will have the skills needed to:
- Improve productivity and workplace relationships.
- Grow the skills and commitment of supervisors and employees.
- Use positive reinforcement and workplace contracts to effectively manage employees.
- Better address the lifecycle of an employee, from recruitment and orientation to departure.
- Better manage workplace conflict, discipline, and termination.
- Participants must be available to attend both days of the workshop.
- Participants must be currently working as a supervisor in a Colorado library (Includes public, school, academic and special).
Dates and Locations
- June 1 & 2, 2020 | Pikes Peak Library District – Penrose Library | Registration will open April 29, 2020
- June 16 & 17, 2020 | Garfield County Library – Rifle Library | Registration will open April 29, 2020
Dr. Nita Mosby Tyler Chief Catalyst of The Equity Project, to offer a half-day, skills-building workshop that will allow attendees to explore the multi-faceted world of diversity, equity and inclusion in an environment that promotes sharing, learning and transformation.
- Deconstruct the definitions of diversity, inclusivity, equity, equality and fairness in a way that allows for a better understanding of bias and the continuum of equity.
- Discuss what it takes to build systems of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Use the Continuum of Equity model, we will discuss the variety of ways our work and interactions show up in each “lane.”
- Explore how our personal power shows up as we explore equity.
- Discuss and explore the impact of language on systems of equity.
- Learn a variety of tips & tools for how to manage/navigate/evaluate in a diversity, equity and inclusion framework.
The workshop will be a blend of facilitated and small group discussions to provide participants with real life tools for challenging and managing their own biases, while understanding how to unpack/understand continuum of equity.
June 11, 2020 from 1 – 5 PM – Jefferson County Library – Columbine Library – Registration will open May 18, 2020
Questions? Contact Christine Kreger via email or phone! firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-866-6946. For additional continuing education opportunities, check out the Library Learning and Creation Calendar.
Latest posts by Marisa Wood (see all)
- Colorado Libraries in the 2010s: Online Presence is Library’s E-Branch - January 21, 2020
- Friday Grab Bag, January 17, 2020 - January 17, 2020
- Colorado Libraries in the 2010s: Computers, Technology, & Gadgets - January 16, 2020