Are you interested in learning more about research-based early literacy promising practices and ideas for reaching out to families and caregivers in your community? Here’s your chance to learn more! The Colorado State Library is partnering with Reimagining School Readiness, a project from the Bay Area Discovery Museum (CA) and funded by IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services), to provide training to library staff in Colorado on the Reimagining School Readiness Toolkit, which is a suite of research-backed resources created for library staff to help families prepare children ages birth to 8 for success in school and in life. Through an online, interactive presentation with hands-on activities, this training will introduce library staff to the research, practical applications, and resources offered in the toolkit.
After 2 sessions on this content last spring, we’re now offering another virtual workshop this summer:
August 18, 2021 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm (with ample breaks!), with Melody Garcia and Beth Crist
Registration is required; please register here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScFd1J7iJZZmaAzCsBJSeEfqNNRAzuk1gHIjmpFS3vXYl8Wiw/viewform?usp=sf_link
This online training is for any library staff who work with children from ages 0 to 8 years and their families. Participation is free! The virtual workshop will be live and will not be recorded. Workshop materials sent via the courier to participants ahead of time will include a copy of the booklet Promising Practices: A Guide for Library Staff, several samples of the Reimagining School Readiness Toolkit resources, and components for hands-on activities.
The workshop topics include:
- key findings from current cognitive and developmental psychology research
- the implications of those findings for library staff’s daily work
- practical, ready-to-implement ideas for activities
- resources for staff training and for parents/caregivers
Participation is limited to 25 on a first come, first served basis. Please register by August 4, 2021, so that we can send registrants workshop materials prior to the session by courier. If you have any questions, reach out to Beth Crist at Crist_B@cde.state.co.us.
- GRT Quick Bites: Serving Family, Friend, and Neighbor Caregivers - November 2, 2021
- October 2021 SWIFT Migration Project Update - October 19, 2021
- Election Resources for the Print Impaired from the Colorado Talking Book Library - September 30, 2021