The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
In the News
Congratulations to the Old Town Library Book Bike Team at Poudre River Public Library District, recipient of the 2022 Book Bike Community Impact Award. The Award, sponsored by the Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services, is presented annually to a library, department, or an individual who has provided exemplary library book bike service to their community. Read the press release [pdf].
Stories and Books
Your Story, Your Life is a facilitated workshop hosted by Garfield County Libraries that encourages the writing of your personal history, one story at a time. Join historian, writer, and genealogist Shelly Merriam for this event on Sep. 16 at the Glenwood Springs Branch Library. Learn more.
At Bemis Library’s Cache La Poudre: the People, the Gunpowder, and the River, historian Dave Lively will share the story of the Poudre Canyon, and how the Cache La Poudre River shaped the North Front Range. Join him on Sep. 13 at 6:00 pm..
Durango Public Library is hosting a Banned Books Art Contest Reception for all the teens who submitted artwork as part of Banned Books Week. Join them on Sep. 20 at 6:00 pm. Event details.
Learn how Pikes Peak Library District acquires and distributes the books and other materials you find on Library shelves with Behind the Stacks: Tour of Collection Management, Sep. 17 at Library 21c. The tour will include special activities geared towards kids. Register online.
Join Grand County Library District to learn all about Bookbinding and practice binding your own journal. Local artist and library volunteer Teresa Banman will lead the class on Sep. 17 at Juniper Library. Register online.
Join Gilpin County Public Library for Bicycling Portugal: Three months, 1,100 miles, 5 wheels, presented by world travelers and Rollinsville residents John Leventhal and Andre Mallinger on October 4. They will recount their bicycle trip around Portugal and share their encounters with its geography, history. and culture. Contact the library for details.
Montrose Regional Library is offering a Metal Detecting and rock hounding program for kids 8 to 13 years on Sep. 14 at 4:30. More event details.
Have you ever wanted to Solve a Murder? High Plains Library District invites teens 14+ to join their fellow sleuths in an attempt to uncover the secrets of an unsolved cold case by examining scene photos, eyewitness testimony and forensic evidence. Register online for this event at Centennial Park Library on Sep. 12.
Summit County Library’s Cookbook Club for Adults is an opportunity to make and try new recipes. Check out a different cookbook each month, then bring a dish to share with the group at the South Branch in Breckenridge. This month’s meeting is Sep. 13 at 6:30 pm. Contact the library to sign up.
John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing will be at Nederland Community Library on Sep. 13 to present 10 Critical Elements Your Website Must Employ Today, a workshop for business owners who want to take their website from an online brochure to a customer-generating workhorse. Participants will have the opportunity for a quick website makeover. Register to participate virtually or in person.
What’s New at Colorado State Library
- CSL in Session: Media Mentorship in the Age of COVID: How libraries can help families navigate the challenging world of screen time. Sep. 15, 2022, 12:00-1:00pm. Join online.
- Connecting Your Community Through Conversation: Living Room Conversations. Sep. 20, 2022, 12:00-1:00pm. Event info. Registration required.
- Online Learning Opportunities in September 2022 for Library Staff. Browse this of free online learning opportunities shared with us by Wyoming State Library.
Library Research Service
Colorado State Publications Library
Are you considering a job change this year? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities, like this selection from around Colorado.
- Library Assistant (Part-Time, Youth Services) – Bemis Library, Littleton
- Library Marketing Assistant – Aurora Public Library
- Library Associate – Children’s – High Plains Library District, Erie
- Interim Library Director – South Routt Library District, Oak Creek
- Senior Branch Librarian – Denver Public Library, Ross-University Hills Branch
- Supervisor, Koelbel Library – Arapahoe Library District, Centennial
- Supervisor, Southglenn Library – Arapahoe Library District, Centennial
- Circulation Clerk – Louisville Public Library
- Librarian II – Clearview Library District, Windsor
- Part-time 25 hour Concierge – Anythink York Street
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of Colorado library programs and resource sharing. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Amy Hitchner, email@example.com.
All images are from the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection, a service of Colorado State Library.