The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
On October 21 at 7:30 pm the Pikes Peak Library District will be welcoming author Robert Kolker for a virtual author visit to discuss his book Hidden Valley Road. Hidden Valley Road is a 2021 selection for our All Pikes Peak Reads program and examines the true story of a local family who had six of their 12 children diagnosed with schizophrenia. More information and registration can be found here.
This year’s One Book One Broomfield title, Afterlife by Julia Alvarez, has an overarching theme of keeping loved ones alive through memories. Join the Broomfield Veterans Museum for One Book One Broomfield: Preserving Our History on October 16 from 2:00-3:30 pm to learn how to preserve the past through long-term care of family memorabilia and oral histories, and get a behind-the-scenes look at the types of items museums would be interested in collecting if you’re ever considering a donation. No registration—just drop in for the duration of the session!
Ottolenghi Flavor: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi is the centerpiece of this year’s All Pueblo Reads 2021 literacy project. To commemorate the celebration of food, family and fun, the Pueblo City-County Library will produce a Community Cookbook, a compilation of family recipes submitted by Pueblo County and Southern Colorado residents. Submit your recipe for consideration in the PCCLD Community Cookbook by November 1 at 5:00 pm.
Mental Health Awareness
Join Dolores Public Library on October 21 at 5:30 pm for Part 2 of their Mental Health Awareness Fall Speaker Series, Empathy and the Art of Listening with Rachel Turiel. Learn how to acknowledge and empathize with our own and others’ emotional upset in a way that brings relief and togetherness. Call to register: 970-882-4127.
Anythink Libraries invites adults to Action for Happiness: Happy Cafe on October 21 from 5:00-6:00 pm. The Happy Cafe is a space to discuss and encourage the importance of happiness and mental well-being via the 10 Keys for Happier Living, outlined by the international organization Action for Happiness. This month’s gathering will be focused on the eighth key: Emotions (look for what’s good). We will focus on common goals, embracing a challenge, and the joy of ultimately finding resolution, all with a spooky twist. Together, discover new ways to build joy and create a more caring world.
Join Denver Public Library on October 21 at 2:00 pm for Healthy Me, Healthy You, a series hosted by CU Anschutz Multidisciplinary Center on Aging and the UCCS Aging Center. This series focuses on how physical, mental, and emotional health are connected and how we can use that connection to age well. This week’s topic is The Influence of Lifestyle Activities on Cognitive Well-Being.
Museums & Libraries in the News
Plundered art held by the Denver Art Museum revealed in Pandora Papers’ exposé of billionaire finances | The Colorado Sun
Six objects came to Denver via the indicted collector Douglas Latchford. The museum has removed four from Cambodia from its collection and is working to return them.
Colorado School Removes LGBTQ Book From Classroom Library | Newsweek
Bayfield Middle School has removed a book featuring elements of homosexuality from its shelves, although school authorities have disputed the reason why is specifically related to that subject.
Colorado’s Douglas County Libraries Announce Archives & Local History Gift | Fine Books Magazine
The Archives & Local History (ALH) department at Douglas County Libraries recently received a generous historical donation from the estate of siblings Robert F. (Bob) and Rosemary M. Metzler of Castle Rock.
Northern Colorado libraries, food banks partner up for the Fall Food Drive | Greeley Tribune
The High Plains Library District is hosting the Fall Food Drive in libraries across the district from October 11-22.
Garfield County Libraries and Girl Scout Troop 15013 invite you to drop off your gently used Halloween costumes at the Rifle Branch Library, New Castle Branch Library, or Highland Elementary School through October 20. Your donations can help a child have a fun and happy Halloween! On October 23 between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. children are invited to the Rifle Branch Library to Giveaway Day, to browse the costumes and take one home for free.
Kids grow up so fast! Bring your unwanted and clean children’s and teen’s Halloween costumes to Jefferson County Public Library’s Belmar branch for a Halloween Costume Exchange on October 17 from 1:00-4:00 pm and browse festive and new-to-you costumes to wear this Halloween! Donations will be accepted starting September 19th, and will continue until the day before the event.
Learning for All
Public Libraries and Public Health: Partners for Community Health (WebJunction) | October 19 @ 12:00-1:00 pm
Join this webinar for an introduction to public health, and hear how public health practitioners and library staff are partnering for success. Learn how to build library staff confidence in providing health information, assess community health needs, and build community partnerships that magnify the role public libraries play as key contributors to community health. For more information and to register, click HERE.
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
Colorado Virtual Library
Growing Readers Together: Quick Bites Webinar Series Returns in November
Mark your calendar for a fresh series of 20 minute webinars that will refresh and inspire your children and family services.
State Publications Library
- October 18, 11:00 am -1:00 pm MDT
- October 21, 12:30 – 2:30 pm MDT
- October 25, 11:00 am -1:00 pm MDT
- October 28, 12:30 – 2:30 pm MDT
- FREE! No registration required
Are you thinking of making a change this year in your job? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities.
- Library Systems Specialist: University of Northern Colorado – University Libraries / Greeley, CO
- Adult Program Coordinator: John C. Fremont Library District / Florence, CO
- Part-time Library Coordinator (Youth Services): Boulder Public Library / Boulder, CO
- Library Assistant – Reference: City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services / Aurora, CO
- Spanish Services Coordinator: Lake County Public Library / Leadville, CO
- Music Cataloging Coordinator: Colorado College / Colorado Springs, CO
- Library Assistant (Part-Time) – Youth Services: City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services / Aurora, CO
- Library Instruction Designer: Pikes Peak Library District / Colorado Springs, CO
- Teen Services Librarian: Eaton Public Library / Eaton, CO
- Special Collections Librarian – Genealogy: Denver Public Library / Denver, CO
- Bilingual Youth Services Specialist: Boulder Public Library / Boulder, CO
- Volunteer Services Coordinator – JEFFCO Public Library (Lakewood, CO): Jefferson County Public Library / Denver, CO
- Online Teaching and Learning Librarian: Auraria Library, University of Colorado Denver / Denver, CO
- Library Assistant (Part-Time): City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services / Aurora, CO
- Youth and Adult Specialist: Lone Cone Library / Norwood, CO
- Director of Business Strategy & Finance – Lakewood, CO: Jefferson County Public Library / Denver, CO
- Creative Lead – Writer/Editor – Anythink Administration: Anythink Libraries / Brighton, CO
- Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) Events and Scheduling Coordinator (50% Time): University of Colorado Boulder Libraries, Norlin Library / Boulder, CO
- Computer Lab Monitor: Poudre River Public Library District / Fort Collins, CO
- Collection Development Librarian – Children’s Material: Jefferson County Public Libraries / Wheat Ridge, CO
- Full-time 40 hour Guide – Anythink Huron Street (Spanish speaking candidates desired): Anythink Libraries / Denver, CO
- Full-time Youth Services Guide – Anythink Perl Mack (Spanish speaking candidates desired): Anythink Libraries / Denver, CO
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Marisa Wood, email@example.com. Also, be sure to follow Colorado State Library on Twitter and Facebook.
- Friday Grab Bag, December 3, 2021 - December 3, 2021
- Upcoming CSL in Session: Why Teams Fail (and How to Foster Success) - December 3, 2021
- GRT Quick Bites: Reflective Practice for Early Literacy Staff with Kate Brunner - November 30, 2021