The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Get in the game with these upcoming events around the state.
Boulder Public Library is holding an art contest for the design of three new library cards depicting the 2019 Summer of Discovery Program theme: Outer Space, Inner Space.
Show your best out-of-this-world design or create a vision of your inner world. Three winners will be selected in April, with one winner in each age group (5 & under, 6-8 & 9-14 years old). For full contest guidelines, download the contest application.
Drop off artwork and completed contest entry form at any Boulder Public Library location by March 31, 2019.
The Pueblo City-County Library District invites poets, grade 2 to adult to write a poem for the 22nd Annual Poetry Contest. It can be about any topic and written in any style. Winners will be chosen from each grade level.
Entries may be dropped off at any library location or mailed to Rawlings Library, c/o Poetry Contest, 100 E. Abriendo Ave., 81004, by the April 5, 2019 deadline. Awards will be presented on May 15. Download the entry form for complete rules and prizes and express your inner creativity.
Join the fun of the Longmont Public Library’s annual diorama contest using marshmallow peeps to depict notable scenes from beloved literary works!
- Entries can be dropped off at the Library starting Thursday April 4. All entries must be received by 9pm Thursday April 11.
- Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
- Best Adult Diorama (ages 16 and up)
- Best Kid Diorama (under 16)
- “Peeples Choice”
For more information, Download the Entry Instructions and Registration Form. It’s free, fun, and great for the whole family!
Grants and Funding Opportunities
Rural Schools Supported
The Small, Rural School Achievement Program seeks to address the unique needs of rural school districts. Interests include improving basic programs, supporting effective instruction, supporting language instruction for English learners and immigrant students, strengthening student support and promoting academic enrichment, and creating 21st century community learning centers. The application deadline is April 26, 2019.
Pick ‘n’ Mix
Ever wish there was a whole town for the cars you find all over the house? Join Nederland Community Library for March 30 from 4:00-7:00pm for Tape Town, a town the perfect size and full of fun surprises! Cars 3 will also be screened for a chance to wind down and relax.. Visit the event page to RSVP!
‘Oh, What a Beautiful (EVENING)!’ Git in your ‘Surry with the Fringe on Top’ and com on over to Oklahoma, where several farmers, cowboys and a traveling salesman compete for the romantic favors of various local ladies. Watch the 1955 classic movie and sing-a-long! All ages are invited to Parachute Public Library for Sing-a-Long with Okalahoma! On March 29 at 6:30 pm. Refreshments will be served, and costumes are encouraged.
Let’s go fly a kite! Join Delta County Reads and check out a copy of MARY POPPINS. When you’re done, stop by the Hotchkiss Library to make a kite to take home. All supplies provided. Kite Maker Space takes place all month in March during library hours.
The Wild & Wooly Spinners meet the last Saturday of every month, and this month they will be meeting at the Ignacio Community Library. Stop by on March 30 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm to watch the spinners spin!
Make beautiful memories this prom season. Bring your unwanted and clean formal wear or accessories to one of Jefferson County Public Library’s Prom Swap 2019 events and take another dream outfit home. For each dress tuxedo/suit, pair of shoes, or accessory you donate, you receive tickets to trade for a new-to-you item.
Museums and Libraries in the News
The Poudre River Public Library District’s Old Town Library Unveils New Seed Library: a community seed library that allows card-carrying library members to check out packets of vegetable, fruit and herb seeds.
In the latest installment of Museums Matter, Colorado Snowsports Museum’s director Jennifer Mason uses their 10th Mountain Division exhibit to illustrate how museums preserve our rich heritage, and maintain tangible links to the past. Don’t miss it.
Prepare to spend some time on bobvila.com, where The Crested Butte Library is featured on their list of the 25 Most Beautiful Libraries in America. Though modest compared to some of the other entries, the Old Rock building, which houses the library, more than earns its place on the list.
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
CSL in Session: “The Compassionate Librarian”
- March 26, 2019, 12:00 to 1:00
- Free! No registration required
- Join online
CSL in Session: “Supporting Developing Readers at the Library: Reader’s Advisory for K-3rd Graders” (Part 1 of 3)
- RESCHEDULED: April 4, 2019, 12:00 to 1:00
- Free! No registration required
- Join online
Library Related Employment:
Are you thinking of making a change this year in your job? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities.
- Part-time Wrangler: Anythink Libraries (Anythink Huron Street) / Thornton, CO
- Library Instruction Assistant: Red Rocks Community College / Lakewood, CO
- Ask a Librarian Desk Apprenticeship: City of Westminster (College Hill Library) / Westminster, CO
- Metadata Coordinator: University of Colorado Boulder / Boulder, CO
- Librarian 2019-2020 School Year: Montessori School of Denver / Denver, CO
- PT Patron Experience Associate: Auraria Library- University of Colorado Denver / Denver, CO
- Community Engagement and Outreach Services Coordinator: Denver Public Library (Central Location) / Denver, CO
- Literature and Humanities Librarian: University of Colorado Boulder / Boulder, CO
- Hampden Center Project Technician I: University of Denver / Denver, CO
Have a great weekend everyone!
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Marisa Wood, firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to follow Colorado State Library on Twitter and Facebook.
- Growing Readers Together: Quick Bites Webinar Series Returns in April - February 25, 2020
- Friday Grab Bag, February 21, 2020 - February 21, 2020
- Registration for CATS *Spring* Workshop (*formerly Winter*) - February 20, 2020