The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries and museums, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
New Year’s Treats
Now in the Public Domain
There is a stellar list of newbies to the public domain as of January 1, 2022 as the new cutoff year rolls over. Works published through 1926 are now out of copyright. One great work of note – Winnie the Pooh.
Here are some of my favorites now also in the public domain:
- Willa Cather – My Mortal Enemy
- G. K. Chesterton – The Incredulity of Father Brown
- Agatha Christie – The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
- Ford Madox Ford – A Man Could Stand Up
- C. S. Forester – Payment Deferred
- Ernest Hemingway – The Sun Also Rises
- Dorothy L. Sayers – Clouds of Witness
- Thorne Smith – Topper (aka The Jovial Ghosts)
For a more comprehensive list, see Wikipedia.
Grants & Funding Opportunities
Preservation of Humanities Collections SupportedThe Preservation Assistance Grants for Smaller Institutions program helps small and mid-sized institutions—such as libraries, museums, historical societies, archival repositories, cultural organizations, town and county records offices, and colleges and universities—improve their ability to preserve and care for their significant humanities collections. These may include special collections of books and journals, archives and manuscripts, prints and photographs, moving images, sound recordings, architectural and cartographic records, and more. The application deadline is January 13, 2022.
Museums & Libraries in the News
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum announces 2022 lecture series: (Fox News) The Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum presents the 2022 Lecture Series, featuring various speakers of diverse perspectives on Pikes Peak regional history.
New museum exhibit shines a light on some of Aurora’s most invisible residents: (Colorado Sentinel) For all the attention homelessness gets in the news, actual homeless people live life in the city’s margins, rarely seen in the same way as their housed neighbors.
Pick ‘n’ Mix
- Karaoke Club: Lamar Public Library’s Cultural Event Center January 21st, 2:00 PM
- Instant Pot Basics – Pine River Library, January 25 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm : Do you have a pressure cooker (Instant Pot) but lack the confidence to make use of it? If so, this virtual class is for you! Nicole Clark, RDN from La Plata County Extension will help unravel the mystery of how to use a pressure cooker and build confidence in your ability to safely use this popular kitchen tool.
- Traditional Mexican Lottery Game: Feminist Loteria– Boulder Public Library Saturday January 25th,2022 1:30 – 3:00 PM. Join to play the traditional Mexican Lottery game in its feminist version created by Luna Cultura.
- Puzzle Swap: Dolores Public Library – January 15, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM – Get out your puzzles over the holidays and make sure all the pieces are there and join a puzzle swap! Between January 3rd and 14th bring in up to 5 puzzles and receive a ticket for each to exchange for a puzzle that’s new to you on January 15th at the library.
Learning for All
2022 Adult Programming Summit
Join your peers from around the state as we come together to discuss adult and intergenerational programming! This one-day virtual conference will cover topics such as:
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion – Presented by Ozy Aloziem of Denver Public Library
- Community Partnerships – Presented by Elyse Jones of Pikes Peak Library District
- Programming Censorship & Challenges – Presented by Dodie Ownes of Denver Public Library and Miranda Doran-Myers of the Colorado State Library
- A Program Planning Workshop – Presented by Michelle Brandstetter of Englewood Public Library and Claire Mattoon of Bemis Public Library
This Summit will be taking place on Zoom, Thursday, January 20, 2022 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. To register, please click on this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUudeyqqzguHNSOqZvsNK7Zhr-vWzTsI9_Y
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
Colorado State Publications Library
- Mental Health Resources for the Holidays
- Mestaa’ėhehe Mountain (and other geographic name changes)
- The Digital Repository Top 5: the most popular newly digitized materials of 2021
Colorado Virtual Library
Upcoming CSL in Session:
- Grow Your Own Library Staff: Creating Professional Development Paths for Non-Degreed Librarians – January 25, 2022 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm MST
- Save the Date – Successful Supervision 2022! – Join our introductory webinar on January 12, 2022 @ 11:00 am MT
Browse the great list of free online learning opportunities shared with us by the Wyoming State Library.
Are you thinking of making a change this year in your job? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities in Colorado.
- Library Associate II – Adult Services: Westminster Public Library, College Hill
- Reference Librarian/Research Analyst: Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck LLP, Denver CO
- Librarian: High Plains Library District, Erie CO
- Bilingual Library Associate: High Plains Library District, Greeley CO
- Director of Business Strategy & Finance: Jefferson County Public Libraries, Lakewood CO
- Library Assistant: Pine River Library, Bayfield CO
- Delivery Driver: Arapahoe Library District, Support Services
- Library Technician- Computer Lab: Longmont Public Library, Main Library
- Library Assistant I: Southwest La Plata Library District, Fort Lewis Mesa Branch
- Adult Collections Librarian: Mesa County Libraries, Central Library, Grand Junction CO
- Librarian I – Bilingual Outreach Coordinator: Longmont Public Library, Main Library
- AspenCat Support Associate: Colorado Library Consortium, Remote
- Library Manager 2: Pikes Peak Library District, 1821 S Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs CO
- Reference Librarian, Westminster Law Library: University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver CO
- Electronic Resources Librarian: Strauss Health Sciences Library, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Metro Denver area
- Library and Cultural Arts Manager: City of Englewood Colorado, Englewood Civic Center
- Library Aide 20hr, Teens: City of Loveland, Library
- Customer Experience Associate – Youth & Family Services: Douglas County Libraries, Castle Pines CO
- Materials Handler: Douglas County Libraries, Parker CO
- First Year Engagement Librarian: Colorado College, Colorado Springs CO
- Public Services Manager: Jefferson County Public Libraries, Lakewood CO
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Amy Hitchner, firstname.lastname@example.org.