The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Basalt Regional Library, in partnership with the Roaring Fork Conservancy, invites teens in grades 5-12 to the Teen Fly Tying Club, which meets Wednesdays at 3:00 pm. Participants will learn how to tie their own flies and learn about local aquatic life from experts in their community. Teens will have the opportunity to compete in the Iron Fly Competition on Saturday, February 11 at Basalt’s Tipsy Trout. Learn more.
Longmont Public Library is accepting donations for their 2nd Annual Epic Formal Wear Boutique. Drop off gently used and cleaned evening attire—anything appropriate for prom or similar event—through Mar. 19. Learn more.
Mesa County Libraries’ Teen Readers Meetup is a weekly opportunity for teens to share what they’re reading and get access to advanced publications to review. The next meetup is Feb. 15 at Central Library. Learn more.
Learn How to Podcast with Dave Gardner from Studio809Podcasts. Pikes Peak Library District is offering this class for teens on Feb. 18 at Cheyenne Mountain Library. Register online.
Aurora Public Library and the Aurora Commission for Older Adults invite you and your family to Generational Split, a multi-generational trivia game on Feb. 25, 2:00 pm, at Mission Viejo Library. Celebrate after the game with a trip to the “Build your own banana split” station. Register online.
Clear Creek County Library District is hosting a Monster Mash Party on Feb. 24 at Idaho Springs Public Library. Rock your best monster costume and dance the night away! Event details.
Celebrate Mardi Gras at Garfield County Libraries’ Silt Branch. Drop by on Feb. 21 at noon for food, a crawfish cooking demonstration, an ice sculpture, beads, and take-home crafts. Learn more.
Make, Live, Love
Kids & YA Makerspace Crafternoon is Estes Valley Library’s monthly opportunity for kids and teens to learn the makerspace equipment. This month’s craft is a Laser Etch Heart Lock, perfect for Valentine’s Day. Register to join them on Feb. 14.
Make a beautiful glass etching at Jefferson County Public Library’s monthly Create It! class. Join them on Feb. 11 at Evergreen Library. Learn more.
Denver Public Library’s Memory Cafe welcomes Love Songs with Hannah Decker, Feb. 14 at Virginia Village Branch Library. Older adults are invited to sing along with new and familiar favorites accompanied by guitar. Learn more.
Pick ‘n’ Mix
Westminster Public Library welcomes Dr. Nicki Gonzales, Professor of History at Regis University and past State Historian, for her presentation, Colorado History Through the Lives of Courageous Chicanas. The event is a part of the 2023 One Book Westminster program, a community-wide read and discussion of Woman of Light by Kali Fajardo-Anstine. This free presentation will take place on Feb. 18, 2:00 pm, at College Hill Library. Language translation services will be provided by the Community Language Cooperative.
Broomfield Library is hosting photographer and author Jeremy Janus as he discusses his latest book of photographs, Colorado Through the Seasons: A Photographic Journey Through the Rocky Mountains. Adults are invited to this program on Feb. 12 at 2:00 pm. Event details.
Join Lone Cone Library for a Poetry Slam on Feb. 18. Share your own poems and enjoy the fellowship of other poetry lovers. Register online.
South Routt Libraries invites you to experience Pottery, Old and New with Margaret Chipman. During this hands-on program on Feb. 11 at Oak Creek Library, you will examine prehistoric pottery reproductions and discover what they teach us today. Event details.
Ignacio Community Library is launching a new Science Fiction Book Club. Join their first meeting on Feb. 24 to give input and recommendations for this group. Event info.
Trinidad Public Library recently acquired a Zhumell Reflector Telescope that patrons can check out. It rests on a tabletop (no tripod needed) and comes with a star guide. Learn more.
What’s New at Colorado State Library
Library Research Service
Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
- DEI Efforts From the Bottom Up: Trial and Error in a Branch-Level Committee. Guest Post by Ellie Nash, Library Specialist Lead at Arapahoe Libraries
Colorado State Publications Library Blog
- Collaboration, Coordination, and Communication: Reframing library programming services
- February 16, 2023. 1:00 – 2:30 pm. Register for link.
- Virtual Partner Forum: Spark the Change Colorado’s RSVP Program
- February 21, 2023. 1:00 – 1:30 pm. Register for link.
- 2023 CLiC Virtual Winter Workshop
- February 23 (2:00 – 4:30 pm) & 24 (8:45 am – 3:00 pm)
- Registration is open now and includes access to session recordings.
- 2023 Colorado OER Conference
- May 19 at History Colorado in Denver
- Proposals are due by March 13. Learn more
- Online Learning Opportunities in February 2023 for Library Staff. Browse this great list of free online learning opportunities shared with us by Wyoming State Library.
Are you considering a job change this year? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities, like this selection from around Colorado.
- Library Specialist – Spanish Speaker (full-time 40 hours) – Arapahoe Library District
- Library Specialist – Detention Center Library part-time 20 hours – Arapahoe Library District
- Library Clerk – Mission Viejo Location – Aurora Public Library
- Library Clerk – Central Library Location – Aurora Public Library
- Library Clerk (Part-Time) – Aurora Public Library
- Library Assistant – System Support – Aurora Public Library
- Library Page – Benefitted – Jefferson County Public Library
- Public Services Manager – South County Library – Jefferson County Public Library
- IT Project Manager – Jefferson County Public Library
- Database Maintenance Receiving & Processing Assistant – Jefferson County Public Library
- Lead Librarian- Youth Services – Pueblo City-County Library District
- Lead Librarian- Adult Services – Pueblo City-County Library District
- Librarian Archivist – Pueblo City-County Library District
- Chief Librarian & CEO – Pikes Peak Library District
- Library Assistant – Access Services – Regis University
- Librarian I/Collection Development – Durango Public Library
- Special & Digital Collections Digital Archivist – University of Colorado Denver, Auraria Library
- Collections Strategies Student Assistant – University of Colorado Denver, Auraria Library
- University Archivist – Assistant Professor of University Libraries – University of Northern Colorado – University Libraries
- Librarian (Reference / Interlibrary Loan) – National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- Library Associate – Children’s – High Plains Library District
- Specialty Checkout Clerk – High Plains Library District
- Librarian – Career and Workforce Development – High Plains Library District
- Events and Experiences Librarian – High Plains Library District
- Librarian – High Plains Library District, Kersey
- Librarian – High Plains Library District, Greeley
- Librarian – Children’s – High Plains Library District
- IT Application Engineer – High Plains Library District
- Bilingual Library Associate – High Plains Library District
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of Colorado library programs and resource sharing. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Amy Hitchner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All images are from the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection, a service of Colorado State Library.
- Touring Colorado’s Collections: Alamosa Public Library Digital Archive - March 27, 2023
- Friday Grab Bag, March 24, 2023 - March 24, 2023
- Friday Grab Bag, March 17, 2023 - March 17, 2023