The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Registration is open for the 11th annual CLEL Conference: Bridging the Gap, which will be held virtually on Oct. 6 & 7. CLELCON is Colorado’s premier conference dedicated to early literacy professional development in libraries. Registration and schedule details are at clel.org.
Additionally, CLEL, in partnership with CSL and Douglas County Libraries, is offering an in-person event, the Growing Readers Together Summit, in Parker on Oct. 14. The summit will offer professional development and networking opportunities for all early literacy professionals.
Pick ‘n’ Mix
Join Durango Public Library for Understanding Alzheimer’s & Dementia on Sep. 8 to learn about the impact, stages, and risk factors of the disease, as well as current research, treatment, and resources. Event details.
As the growing season winds down, learn about Saving Seeds from Your Garden so you can plant them next year. Westminster Public Library, in partnership with City Greenhouse staff, is offering the class at Irving Street Library on Sep. 3. Learn more.
Salida Regional Library is hosting Stories by Kids for Kids, a writing workshop every Friday in September. Participants will have the opportunity to practice their writing and become published authors. Contact the library for more info.
Do you want to make a splash at the next pop culture convention? Then join Mesa County Libraries and presenter Heather L. Nicholson for Cosplay 101 on August 27 at Central Library. The afternoon will include a presentation and time to design your costume. Register.
Join Gunnison Libraries and lecturer Dr. Erik Christian Peterson for the Sally Miner Lecture Series on 20th Century Music, August 29 at Crested Butte Library. Learn more.
LENA in Libraries
LENA — Language Environment Analysis — is a national nonprofit based in Boulder on a mission to transform children’s futures through early talk technology and data-driven programs. Josie Snow from Ruby M. Sisson Memorial Library in Pagosa Springs is presenting a webinar this Monday, August 29 at 11:00 am on how she partners with LENA in her community, and how other Western Slope libraries can, too. Please register through this Google Form and join the conversation on Zoom (Meeting ID: 844 1412 5646 and Passcode: 959816).
Pueblo City-County Library invites the public to Waves of Change, a teen/tween art show on display at Lamb Branch on August 27. The exhibit will feature pottery, paintings, sketches, and mixed media. Learn more.
Explore collage as a powerful and flexible form of artistic expression at Buena Vista Public Library’s Abstract Art Collage class on Sep. 10. Experiment with various techniques and materials to create your collage. Registration required.
Kids are invited to participate in Erie Community Library’s 3rd Annual Juried Kids Art Show on the theme: Out of This World. Up to two pieces of framed art can be dropped off by Sep. 10. Works will be on exhibit Sep. 25 to Nov. 5, with winners awarded in each age category. Read the submission guidelines.
In celebration of the 11th annual Yampa Valley Crane Festival, Bud Werner Memorial Library is hosting the Yampa Valley Crane Festival Photo Contest & Creative Arts Awards on Sep. 3. Meet the 2022 winners and see a slideshow of all the beautiful submissions. Learn more.
West Custer County Library is inviting submissions to their Pet Picture Contest. Drop off or email a photo of your pet through August 30. Learn more.
What’s New at Colorado State Library
- Quick Bites: Books for Beginning and Struggling Readers. August 30, 2022, 12:00-12:20pm. Join online.
- CSL in Session: Media Mentorship in the Age of COVID: How libraries can help families navigate the challenging world of screen time. Sep. 15, 2022, 12:00-1:00pm. Join online.
- Connecting Your Community Through Conversation: Living Room Conversations. Sep. 20, 2022, 12:00-1:00pm. Event info. Registration required.
- Online Learning Opportunities in August 2022 for Library Staff. Browse this great list of free online learning opportunities shared with us by Wyoming State Library.
Colorado State Publications Library
Are you considering a job change this year? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities, like this selection from around Colorado.
- Library Circulation Supervisor – Aurora Public Library
- Library Associate – Pikes Peak Library District
- Education and Research Librarian – Western Colorado University
- Bilingual Outreach Assistant – Poudre River Public Library District
- Digital Teacher Librarian/DTL – Jefferson Academy Charter School
- On-Call Librarian – Denver Botanic Garden
- Technical Services Librarian – Denver Botanic Garden
- Technical Services Assistant – Acquisitions – Clearview Library District, Windsor
- Customer Service Specialist (Full Time) – Clearview Library District, Windsor
- Outreach and Instruction Librarian – University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Research Librarian – Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Fort Collins
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of Colorado library programs and resource sharing. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Amy Hitchner, email@example.com.
All images are from the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection, a service of Colorado State Library.