Listen to this article
The Wyoming State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB), in partnership with the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), invites you to attend a FREE, 2-day, Archives and Digital Collections 101 Workshop on June 21 and 22 at the Wyoming State Library in Cheyenne, WY. This in-person workshop is open to anyone regardless of whether they live in Wyoming.
What You Can Expect
Day 1: June 21, 2022
Morning Session: 9:00-12:00
Archives 101: Introduction to Basic Archival Principles and Practices
The morning session of the workshop, “Archives 101,” will focus on archival best practices. The workshop is geared towards those working in smaller archival repositories and those who may not have had formal archival training. Participants are encouraged to bring questions and sample items from their collections that present specific challenges in processing.
What you will learn:
- What is an archival collection
- Basic archival principles
- Levels of arrangement and description
- Basics of archival access and preservation
Lunch Provided: 12:00-1:00
Afternoon Session: 1:00-4:00
Share Your Story: A Toolkit for Creating Digital Collections
Digitization is not simply making a digital copy of an object. It is a process of collecting, reformatting, cataloging, storing, and sharing digital objects. With this workshop you will learn the fundamentals of each area of the digitization workflow: selection, digital capture, description, and sharing, and leave with a toolkit to get you started on your digitization journey. This workshop is for those that are new to digital collections.
What you will learn:
- Framework for selecting items, including copyright considerations
- Basics of digital capture for preservation and access
- Metadata description for historic collections
- How to share your collection with your community near and far
Day 2: June 22, 2022 (Half day)
Collection Consultation and Digitization Time
Participants will have the opportunity to sign up for a 1 hour, hands-on experience with the Colorado State Library’s Digitization Kits. Please bring 2 to 4 items (maximum dimensions: 8.5″ x 11.7″) to move through the digital capture workflow. You will have the opportunity to scan, create preservation and access copies, create metadata and see your items live and online.
Want to talk? Participants will also have the opportunity to sign up for a 1 hour block of time with collections specialists from CSL and SHRAB to help with topics such as:
- Donor relations
- Collection management
- User access
- Archival processing
The workshop will be held at the Wyoming State Library, 2800 Central Ave, Cheyenne, WY 82001.
Cost, Registration, & Food
- This 2 day workshop is Free!
- Register using this online form. Feel free to sign up for both days or just one.
- Register by June 15, 2022. Limited to 30 participants.
- Hotel suggestions: If you need to stay over, our friends in Cheyenne recommend…
- Tru by Hilton Cheyenne
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Cheyenne Southwest/Downtown Area
- Parking: Free parking is available on site at the Wyoming State Library
- We are grateful to Wyoming State Library for very generously providing lunch on June 21. Thank you, WSL!
This workshop is supported in part by an award from the Wyoming State Historical Records Advisory Board (WY SHRAB), through funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), National Archives and Records Administration. The WY SHRAB program is administered by the Wyoming State Archives, which is part of the Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources.
- University of Colorado receives grant to digitize Colorado Daily student newspaper - May 24, 2022
- Free Archives and Digital Collections 101 Workshop - April 26, 2022
- Funding Available for Historic Collections - April 21, 2022