Friday Grab Bag is a weekly Spotlight on Sharing series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries. News from the Colorado State Library is at the bottom. Let’s open the Grab Bag!
El Día de Dos Niños
El Día de Los Niños / Children’s Day is a national event in April that celebrates the importance of childhood literacy regardless of language spoken or cultural background.
- North Branch Library in Summit County is celebrating Día on April 29 at 12:00 pm with stories, crafts, and more.
- Broomfield Library is celebrating Día on April 22 at 10:00 am or 1:00 pm with a bilingual storytime and watercolor project about the true story of Shep the Turnpike Dog. Kids can also take home their own copy of the book.
Three Ways to Stargaze
Contemplate the cosmos. Barring cloudy skies, stargazers from Wilkinson Public Library will meet at the San Miguel County Courthouse on April 25 at 8:30 pm. Local astronomer Mishke will be there, and the library will provide binoculars and lasers.
Become a Star Wars legend. Join Fort Collins Comic Con and Poudre River Public Library District for the 2nd annual, family-friendly Kessel Run on Thursday, May 4 at Library Park and Old Town Library.
Gaze into the future. Bud Werner Memorial Library is livestreaming the TED Conference all day on Thursday, April 27. This year’s conference theme is “The Future You” and will explore what our shared future might look like.
Improve Your Finances
Reboot Your Resume! Get help writing and refreshing your resume at Lyons Regional Library on Saturday, April 22 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Walk-ins welcome, or make an appointment by emailing email@example.com
April is the month to clear your fines at Security Public Library, and all it costs is a non-perishable food item.
Poudre River Public Library District participates each year in National Money Smart Week. Check out their week of activities April 22-29. The programs, led by financial experts and community agencies, will cover budgeting, job search skills, Medicare planning, and money management for teens.
John C. Fremont Library has several classes during the last week of April that will help you make better financial decisions.
- Your Own Home, presented by the Bank of San Juans, Tuesday, April 25 at 7:00 pm
- Money Smart for Seniors, presented by the Bank of the San Juans, Wednesday, April 26 at 1:00 pm
- Teaching Kids about Money, presented by Central Colorado Housing, Thursday, April 27 at 7:00 pm
- Free Credit Report Printing, Friday, April 28 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Scams Targeting Veterans, presented by the Bank of the San Juans, Saturday, April 29 at 10:00 am
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
The winning One Book 4 Colorado title was revealed on Monday, April 17 at a special ceremony at the Central Branch of Denver Public Library. Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and Colorado Lieutenant Governor Donna Lynne announced that Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley was the book that will be distributed to all Colorado 4-year-olds. Pick up your copy at any public or military library between April 17 and May 1.
During the next CSL in Session, learn about Growing Readers Together, a new early literacy outreach program for parents and unlicensed childcare providers in SE Colorado. Join Joyce Johnson and Pamela Mejia de Rodriguez for this interactive session on May 16 from 12:00 to 1:00 pm MST. CSL in Session is a free, online learning series that does not require registration.
The Book Club Resource has several titles, fiction and nonfiction, that celebrate strong women. Read Grrrl Power to see what is available for libraries to borrow.
The Colorado State Publications Library blog has several new posts this week:
- Dental Health in Colorado
- Time Machine Tuesday: Colorado Rehabilitation Farms
- What is the Colorado Commission on Uniform State Laws?
- House Resolution Recognizing Libraries
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. How is your library sharing? We’d love to hear about it! Email Amy Hitcher, firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter follow @hitchlib and use the hashtag #spotlightonsharing.